Looking for an easy way to keep track of the value of your savings bonds? If you only have a couple savings bonds, just use our Savings Bonds Calculator.
The Treasury Department has created a free Savings Bond Wizard that can be downloaded onto your PC. Yes, I did say your personal computer. There are several drawbacks to the Savings Bond Wizard:
1) Its based on Windows Software.
2) It only works for paper savings bonds.
3) You will need to update it manually twice a year (May and November ).
Instead of using the savings bond wizard, why not convert your paper savings bonds into electronic bonds. Electronic bonds have the following benefits:
1) You no longer need to worry about misplacing or forgetting about where the bonds are located.
2) You can have all the information about your savings bonds in one place and quickly check on their value, redeem bonds, or add to your holdings.
There is only one place where you can open an online savings bond account, at TreasuryDirect.gov. After you open your account, you can use the SmartExchange service to convert paper bonds into online bonds. Here are the FAQs about converting paper savings bonds into electronic saving bonds.
Saving Bonds Wizard For Mac
While the treasury doesn’t offer a Savings Bond Wizard for Mac, there is an independent version available for $10 at http://spottedsnake.net/